I can live without anything or anyone, but I cannot live without God!

Monday, February 27, 2012

John 13:17

It has been a very long time that I have disagreed with a Sunday sermon. It wasn't an immediate response, but the pastor did specifically tell us to push against it. So this morning I pulled out my sermon notes and re-read the bible passage. Then re-read the passage asking for Spirit lead interpretation. The verse was very familiar. Probably have heard as many sermons about it as years I've been alive. Jesus washes feet. Jesus serves. That always has been the major focus, just like yesterday. We will be blessed if we serve. More precisely, yesterday's point said, our success (in our spiritual life) is in serving.

Now don't think for a minute that I disagree with serving. However, I honestly believe that I receive an epiphany regarding the whole point Jesus was making. I'm sure others have seen this, but I've never heard it preached with the focus on our attitude first, then the action. In all fairness, pastor did touch pride and humility, but it was only on the way to his point in needing to serve . I believe that the main point isn't in the act of serving. It isn't even loving others. It is in claiming no superiority to anyone! If God himself lowered Himself to the lowest task known at the time, why would we have any right to think of ourselves more highly than any other person, no matter who they are, or what their past holds. No matter what their position or how educated they are. No matter how much they make, who they love, or even who they voted for. Until we really understand how really wrenched and wicked our self righteousness is in God's eyes (and everyone is born in the sin of self importance), we will never have spiritual success. When we see it and repent of it, then, only then, will serving have any blessing in it.

"When we do something out of a sense of duty, it is easy to explain the reasons for our actions to others. But when we do something out of obedience to the Lord, there can be no other explanation-just obedience." Oswald Chambers

For a more understanding, one great preacher puts in on the line like I never could in the following sermon on Romans 3:27--- Justification by Faith Is the End of Boasting

No comments:

Post a Comment